Our History

Providing Care to Bay County Residents

Bay County Medical Care Facility has 206 beds and about 360 full and part-time employees. Those employees work hard for our residents, earning us a top rating from the state based on clinical data measures. We earned a 5-star quality rating out of 5 stars. We’re especially proud that our residents and their families have rated our facility 4.6 stars out of 5.

History of Bay County Medical Care Facility

The Bay County Medical Care Facility opened its doors in 1962, but our roots go much deeper into the community.

In 1865, the Bay County Board of Supervisors purchased 120 acres of farmland near what is today West Hampton Road and North Knight Road. The county erected a frame building for the aged who had no means of support. Many of the residents were no longer able to work or had no family. Some had families who couldn’t care for them. The official name was the County Farm, but most referred to it as the Poor Farm.

The original building burned to the ground in 1905. The Board of Supervisors authorized $25,000 to build a large, three-story red brick building to house 64 “inmates,” as the residents were called at the time. The facility also included several farm buildings. From 1905 to 1958, the inmates farmed the land and raised cows, chickens, and pigs to supply food. In 1958, though, the building was condemned as a fire hazard and ruled as too expensive to repair.

In 1964, the Bay County Medical Care Facility opened at 564 W. Hampton Road in Essexville. The original structure was one story with space for 100 residents. In 1967, we added the second floor, creating room for an additional 106 residents.

We’ve undergone several renovation projects since then, but some things haven’t changed. Today, patients in need of convalescent or specialized care usually transfer to us from a local hospital or a private facility. Other patients admitted to Bay County Medical Care Facility may need rehabilitation or be terminally ill and are unable to be cared for at home. The facility is funded by Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and private pay insurance.

We continue to strive to provide the best care possible to the residents that need our services. We’re still licensed for 206 residents and are proud to serve as a safety net for the most-vulnerable residents of Bay County. Nearly 8% of our residents are recipients of Medicaid from the State of Michigan.

Our last renovation project was completed in 2004 and our next construction project begins in October 2019. The 2019 project includes additional private rooms as well as enhanced resident dining areas with sunrooms. The project includes increased space for family and friends to visit their loved ones; front lobby renovations; and additional office space. The project also includes upgrading our heating and cooling system to improve energy efficiency. To learn more about the upcoming project, please feel free to visit our Facility and ask to speak to the Administrator or the Environmental Department. This project is entirely funded by the Bay County Medical Care Facility’s funds.

Bay Medical Care Facility History

Bay County Medical Care Facility in the days of the Poor Farm – late 1800s

Bay Medical Care Facility History 2008

Bay County Medical Care Facility – 2008

Bay County Medical Care Facility – 2019

Contact Us

Bay County Medical Care Facility
564 W. Hampton Rd.
Essexville, MI 48732

Business Office Hours

Mon – Fri: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Sun: Reception Only